Public Records Request

Access to Public Records 

The Woonsocket Education Department adheres to the Access to Public Records Act, R.I. Gen. Laws §38-2-1, et. seq., and has instituted the following procedures for the public to obtain public records. 

1.  For anyone who wishes to make a public requests, please print and complete the “Request for Records Under the Access to Public Records Act” form to the left.  Mail or drop off the completed form to McFee Administration Building, 108 High Street, Woonsocket, RI 02895.  You may also email the completed form to [email protected].  

2.  To reach us by telephone please call (401) 767-4600 and ask to be connected to the Clerk of the School Committee.

3.  The regular business hours of the School Department are Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. 

4.  There are times when the public records you seek are not available at the time of your request.  Please be advised that the Access to Public Records Act allows a public body ten (10) business days to respond, which can be extended an additional twenty (20) business days for “good cause.” We thank you in advance for your understanding if it is necessary to request this extension.

5.  The Access to Public Records Act gives you the opportunity to view and/or copy public records. The cost per copied page of written public documents will be fifteen cents ($.15) for documents copied on common business or legal size paper. You may elect to obtain public records in all media in which we are capable of providing them. The Act permits a reasonable charge for search and retrieval of documents. The hourly costs for a search and retrieval shall be fifteen dollars ($15.00) per hour, with no charge for the first hour. We will be more than happy to provide you with an estimate. Upon a request, we will provide detailed itemization of the costs charged for search and retrieval. 

6.  Any person or entity denied the right to inspect a record may petition the Superintendent for review of the decision denying the request. If the Superintendent determines the record is not subject to public inspection, the person or entity seeking disclosure may file a complaint with the Attorney General. You may also file a lawsuit in Superior Court.