Youth Work Permits

Do You Need A Work Permit?

During this pandemic, we have adapted our process for issuing work permits for youths. Please follow the process below to allow us to quickly provide you with the most appropriate permit. Should you have any questions please don’t hesitate to contact us at

1. You must have a promise of employment. Please have your prospective employer complete the attached “Intention to Employ Minor” form for RI jobs and the attached “Employment Permit Application for 14 through 17 Year Olds” form for MA jobs . 
Send an email to to arrange for a in person appointment with someone from the WED Human Resources Department. During this meeting you will be required to demonstrate proof of age (via birth certificate and proof of enrollment in a current school if not in WED). 

3. Once we receive a copy of your appropriate forms listed in step 1, please have it along with a copy of your Birth Certificate, Baptismal Certificate, Passport, School Records or Driver's License for your appointment as scheduled in step 2. We will issue you either a Special Limited Permit to Work or a Certificate of Age form.


As soon as we are able to resume processing Youth Work Permits in person we will notify all by updating this web page.